All Blogs / Academics / Psychology / Popular


Mindfulness and Sleep: Advice from Experts

This article is Part Three in a series, click to read Part One and Part Two. I am just a little bit obsessed with sleep. My own, my children’s and… well… even yours really. Of course I am not alone in that. There are many […]

Can a pen colour define your class? Quiz

Find out what your choice of pen colour says about you Choose one of these five pens to discover what your selection says about your class. Go ahead, pick one… If you identify as working class, then there is a 72% chance that you picked the green (majority) pen, and 28% chance you picked the orange. Show More Summary

Lessons in life and the universe from a cup of tea | Helen Czerski

Physics has its patterns, and you don’t even have to leave your kitchen to find them We live on the edge, perched on the boundary between Earth and the rest of the universe. Every human civilisation has seen the stars, but no one has touched them. Show More Summary

Telling the Difference Between Healthy and Unhealthy Emotions

How to break the cycle when you can’t seem to stop reflecting on negative events. I am sure you have heard it said before, “Feel your feelings. Don’t repress them.” When a person invests time and resources into personal development, it’s with the hope of […]

The Four Major Goals of Life revisited

I wrote about the four major goals in life on my psychology today blog quite some time back and want to revisit it today in the light of reading Susan Wolf‘s ‘Meaning in life and why it matters’ which is a very accessible and engaging, as well as a short, read. Susan Wolf claims that there are two [...] Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)

Religious Experience Has Fascinating Effect On The Brain

21 hours agoAcademics / Psychology : PsyBlog

Brains scans during religious experience reveal the effects of intense divine feelings. Dr Jeremy Dean's ebooks are: The Anxiety Plan: 42 Strategies For Worry, Phobias, OCD and Panic Spark: 17 Steps That Will Boost Your Motivation For Anything

Post-Election Vertigo

What the feeling of dislocation can teach us about these unsettling times.

6 Ways to Stay Busy to Avoid Sadness

“Active natures are rarely melancholy. Activity and sadness are incompatible.” – Christian Bovee Sometimes, you’re just sad. Whether it’s the holiday season, your birthday, anniversary or other special occasion, you can inexplicably feel sadness. It may be that the occasion itself reminds you of loss, […]

Psychology Around the Net: December 3, 2016

Happy Saturday, sweet readers! It’s pretty dark and rainy in my neck of the woods today, which doesn’t give me much Christmas spirit (I’m finally decorating today…or hoping to, anyway); however, such weather does do a little something interesting for my overall spirit. Have you […]

This Personality Trait Related To Higher Quality Of Life

Better mental and physical functioning among people high in this personality trait. Dr Jeremy Dean's ebooks are: The Anxiety Plan: 42 Strategies For Worry, Phobias, OCD and Panic Spark: 17 Steps That Will Boost Your Motivation For Anything

Reached Your Goal But Still Unhappy? 4 Steps to Take

Do these sound like promises you’ve made to yourself? Once I get the promotion, I’ll feel like my career is on track. After this busy period, I won’t have to work so much and can spend time doing things I enjoy. When I make six-figures, […]

How to stop teenagers sexting | Dean Burnett

Jeremy Hunt has proposed a ban on sexting for under-18s. But there’s only one realistic option when it comes to curbing teen sex drives: don’t even try. Jeremy Hunt has proposed a ban on sexting for under 18s. As any reasonable person might have predicted, this has been met with a great deal of criticism. Show More Summary

Best of Our Blogs: December 2, 2016

“I would say that there exist a thousand unbreakable links between each of us and everything else, and that our dignity and our chances are one.” – Mary Oliver, Upstream You only need to turn on the television or open a newspaper, and you’d see […]

Some of the Worst Cliches in Recovery Circles

If you spend time in recovery circles you will hear these same clichés over and over again. Some make you want to run to the nearest bar just for spite, others may become mantra. You can’t not hear them. If you have spent any time [...

The Breathing Technique That Helps Fight Major Depression

Breathing technique can reduce the stress hormones in the central nervous system. Dr Jeremy Dean's ebooks are: The Anxiety Plan: 42 Strategies For Worry, Phobias, OCD and Panic Spark: 17 Steps That Will Boost Your Motivation For Anything

How to Be True to Yourself

Every once in a while I pull out my one-year sobriety chip, which reads on the front, “To Thine Own Self Be True.” I’ve been sober for more than 26 years now, but it was my one-year chip that meant the most to me, because […]

PODCAST: Discussion with Award-Winning Bipolar Author and Blogger

In this week’s Psych Central Show, Gabe and Vincent interview popular bipolar author and blogger, Natasha Tracy. Natasha Tracy is an award-winning writer and speaker living with bipolar disorder. She has written more than 1000 articles on mental health and is considered a subject matter […]

It Shines: Living with Bipolar II Disorder

I’m quick to reflect on high school glory days. It’s pretty silly, seeing as how I’ve not even reached the 10-year reunion mark. Flipping through my old yearbook, I noticed one of my favorite teachers wrote “Dear Beth, calling you a delicate flower would not […]

The Type of Smile That Helps Start New Relationships

People feel emotionally close to others displaying this type of smile. Dr Jeremy Dean's ebooks are: The Anxiety Plan: 42 Strategies For Worry, Phobias, OCD and Panic Spark: 17 Steps That Will Boost Your Motivation For Anything

The Daily Activities That Promote An Upward Spiral Of Flourishing

People reported more positive emotions, including more enthusiasm and joy. Dr Jeremy Dean's ebooks are: The Anxiety Plan: 42 Strategies For Worry, Phobias, OCD and Panic Spark: 17 Steps That Will Boost Your Motivation For Anything

Copyright © 2015 Regator, LLC