Let’s dive right in:
1. Adam Serwer explains what was wrong with Senator Kelly Ayotte’s torture amendment.
2. Spencer Ackerman on the disaster for civil liberties taking shape in the Senate.
3. Why the idea of bombing Iran is stupid, from Michael Cohen.
4. Great item on Frank Luntz’s pathetic magic words by Seth Michaels: “Take these talking points for what they are—calculated falsehoods, and a cheap, transparent attempt to use real economic worries to support the same old 1% agenda.
1. Adam Serwer on privacy, Petraeus and e-mail. Important. 2. Dan Drezner is thinking about Susan Rice. 3. Scandal envy? That’s Paul Waldman’s diagnosis. Read full article >>
New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte has proposed an amendment to the defense bill that would make torture legal. The amendment, which purports to authorize “lawful interrogation methods,” actually rescinds Obama’s 2009 executive orde...
The president is in Kabul, and will address the nation at 7:30 EDT. In other news: 1. Today’s must read is Spencer Ackerman: the “U.S. Has No Idea Whether al-Qaida is Beat.” And why that matters. 2. Jonathan Chait is very good on th...
1. Substance first: It’s increasingly clear that if Mitt Romney wins, the United States will be back in the torture business. Charlie Savage reports. 2. Excellent follow-up by Adam Serwer on the weakness of the Team Romney case for ...