Let’s dive right in:
1. Adam Serwer explains what was wrong with Senator Kelly Ayotte’s torture amendment.
2. Spencer Ackerman on the disaster for civil liberties taking shape in the Senate.
3. Why the idea of bombing Iran is stupid, from Michael Cohen.
4. Great item on Frank Luntz’s pathetic magic words by Seth Michaels: “Take these talking points for what they are—calculated falsehoods, and a cheap, transparent attempt to use real economic worries to support the same old 1% agenda.
The president is in Kabul, and will address the nation at 7:30 EDT. In other news: 1. Today’s must read is Spencer Ackerman: the “U.S. Has No Idea Whether al-Qaida is Beat.” And why that matters. 2. Jonathan Chait is very good on th... Read Post
1. Today’s must-read is from Rany Jazayerli: How the GOP chased him (and other Muslims) out of the party. 2. Former CIA director David Petraeus went to the Hill today to discuss Benghazi in a closed session. Spencer Ackerman reports... Read Post