Along AZ Highway 177 and hidden in the mountains of Pinal and Gila counties, sits the mining/smelter town of Hayden. The town was founded in 1909 and part of the Ray Consolidated Copper Company. Like the other towns in the area, it started out as a company community. The people worked for the ASARCO smelter which was located in town and known as the Hayden Smelter. It has the tallest free-standing chimney which stands about 1,000 feet tall.