About 100 former Dutch UN peacekeepers may sue the government for sending them to defend the Bosnian enclave of Srebrenica in 1995, after the defence ministry admitted it had been a mission "impossible," lawyers said Tuesday. "The state sent these soldiers on a mission impossible and then abandoned them," lawyer Michael Ruperti told AFP. "This caused them a lot of damage, physically, psychologically and financially, as well as in their social lives.
Before he went into hiding, Ratko Mladic, the former commander of the Bosnian Serb Army who was arrested on Thursday in connection with the 1995 massacre of nearly 8,000 men and boys at Srebrenica, embraced the spotlight.
THE HAGUE (Reuters) - War crimes judges in The Hague on Wednesday upheld a life sentence against a former Bosnian Serb officer for genocide in relation to his role in the massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in 1995.
The ruling upheld a lower court decision from two years ago. The government said it will implement Friday's ruling. More than 7,000 Bosnian Muslims were killed in the 1995 massacre — the worst in Europe since World War II.
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — A court on Wednesday ordered the Netherlands to compensate the families of more than 300 Bosnian Muslims killed after Dutch troops handed them over to Bosnian Serb forces in 1995, in a ruling that could...