Post Profile






Queensland Places – Gooloowan, Ipswich

The prominent Ipswich landmark, Gooloowan, was built for the well known Ipswich storekeeper and businessman Benjamin Cribb and his second wife, Clarissa, who was a member of the Foote family. Benjamin had previously formed a business partnership with John Foote, with the resulting business trading as Cribb and Foote for many years. Benjamin Cribb married... Read more
read more

share
See more about: Queensland Places

Related Posts


Queensland Places – Congregational Church Sunday School, Ipswich

Australia / Brisbane : John Oxley Library Blog

The Congregational Church of Ipswich was formed on 2 June 1854 as a means of combining the Baptist and other independent faiths that only had limited numbers in the then small Ipswich. This was the first Congregational parish to be ...

Queensland Places – Queensland’s First Railway

Australia / Brisbane : John Oxley Library Blog

The first railway in Queensland opened on 31 July 1865, running from Ipswich to its terminus at Bigge’s Camp, later to be known as Grandchester.  Bigge’s Camp was situated around thirty-four kilometres to the west of Ipswich and thi...

Queensland Places – First Ipswich Railway Station

Australia / Brisbane : John Oxley Library Blog

The first Ipswich Railway Station was built in Lower Ellenborough Street as the terminus of the first railway line in Queensland. This first line linked Ipswich to Bigge’s Camp, later to be renamed Grandchester, and was officially o...

Queensland Places – Soldiers’ Memorial Hall, Ipswich

Australia / Brisbane : John Oxley Library Blog

The Soldiers’ Memorial Hall, located in Nicholas Street, dates from 1921 and remains an imposing building and landmark in the Ipswich streetscape. The impetus for the building came from the newly formed RSL, towards the end of the F...

Queensland Places – Keiraville, Ipswich

Australia / Brisbane : John Oxley Library Blog

This grand Ipswich residence, located in Roderick Street, has long been a part of the city’s history, dating from 1886. It is believed to have been built for the Cribb family by local building contractor, John Mackenzie, who origina...

Comments


Copyright © 2016 Regator, LLC