Post Profile

Made a tax-filing mistake? Fix it with 1040X

There's an old tax myth that filing an amended tax return will get you audited. Not true. In fact, failing to correct an error you made on your original tax return is more likely to cause you more tax trouble. When the Internal Revenue Service discovers the mistake, and the agency likely eventually will, you'll owe the tax due and penalties and interest. And if you fail to claim a tax break on an amended return that you overlooked when you first filed, then you're the one cheating yourself out of tax savings.
read more


Related Posts

What If You Filed Your Taxes But Discover Mistakes?

Business & Finance : Forbes: Business

Be careful when you file your tax return. You generally can't correct mistakes without amending the return, and amending carries risks.

Error on Your Tax Return? How to Amend It With Form 1040X

Business & Finance / Personal Finance : Savings Experiment

AOL After working so hard to get your taxes filed on time, finding out that you made a mistake on your return is just about the worst news you can possibly get, short of an IRS audit. But making changes to your tax return isn't as h...

Amending Just Filed Taxes? IRS Tips For Amended Tax Returns

Business & Finance : Forbes: Business

Amended tax returns are more likely to be audit bait than original returns, so think carefully whether you should amend and when and how to do it.

File IRS Form 1040X to correct old tax mistakes

Business & Finance / Taxes : Don't Mess With Taxes

If you just discovered an error on an old tax return, you might be able to correct it. All you need is Form 1040X … as long as the mistake was made on a return you filed within the last three years. Click image for PDF download of f...

NYC attorney pleads guilty to amended tax return fraud Plus 10 tips on fixing your federal filing mistakes with Form 1040X

Business & Finance / Taxes : Don't Mess With Taxes

Taxpayers usually file amended returns to correct mistakes they made on their original tax paperwork. A New York City product liability attorney, however, sent the Empire State tax department fraudulent amended tax returns and now i...


Copyright © 2016 Regator, LLC