On Wednesday, the Kalamazoo (Mich.) Department of Public Safety released an update to their investigation of the death of James Dunigan, who died in custody 90 minutes after being arrested in the Bronson emergency room, as reported by WWMT. Dunigan had been admitted to the Bronson emergency room at 2:13 a.m. for treatment regarding chest pains […]
Study shows how carefully written, nurse-initiated protocols targeted at certain patients relieved crowding in a busy, inner-city emergency room.
As an actress and the CEO of the Honest Company, Jessica Alba is one of the few celebrities who can smile at you from the cover of Forbes one month and Allure the next. If a million dollars isn’t cool but a billion is, then Alba is very cool: Honest ... More »
NEW YORK — The Mount Sinai Hospital emergency room looks and sounds like hundreds of others across the country: Doctors rush through packed hallways; machines beep incessantly; paramedics wheel stretc...
Many states are working toward or already have protections against surprise medical bills.
The School of Dentistry operates a clinic that aims to reduce emergency room visits.
About two U.S. children visit the emergency room every hour for injuries related to being in a stroller or an infant carrier, a new study finds. Overall, more than 360,000 children ages 5 or younger went to the ER for stroller- or carrier-related injuries from 1990 to 2010, the study found. Show More Summary
In September, after 22 years as a New York Times correspondent, Elisabeth Rosenthal will take over as editor-in-chief of the nonprofit Kaiser Health News. Rosenthal, an emergency room doctor by training, wrote a lengthy, well-received series for the Times about the high cost of American healthcare, “Paying Till It Hurts.” With the series, she told me in early 2014, she...
Geronimo Oregón was wheeled out of the intensive-care unit at Houston’s Ben Taub Hospital on April 17, 2016, his body wired with electrodes and his mother at his side. He had arrived in the emergency room six days earlier, complaining of confusion, stomach pain, and shortness of breath. Show More Summary
In July 2010, a family member found 80-year-old Maria de Jesus Arroyo unconscious in her Boyle Heights home in Los Angeles. At the White Memorial Medical Centre, an emergency room doctor declared Arroyo dead from a heart attack. A few...Show More Summary
Surprising new study reveals that over 21 years, 361,000 young kids were treated in US emergency rooms for stroller- or carrier-related injuries.
This is a video of young Anthony in the emergency room after swallowing his dog's squeaky toy. Now he squeaks. But not puberty squeaks, dog toy squeaks. How the hell a kid his age even swallows a dog toy is beyond me, but I suspect it has something to do with Anthony being the absolute worst at playing fetch. Show More Summary
Giuliana Maggio tripped on her grandmother's slow cooker during a game of hide-and-seek, sending her to the Loyola burn icu. According to the American Burn Foundation, 136,000 children were seen in emergency rooms in 2011 for burn injuries. More than 1,100 children die each year from burn injuries.The annual cost of scald injuries is $44 million.
Eating can be a complicated ordeal for the roughly 1 in 20 children that have food allergies. Allergic reactions to food are responsible for about 200,000 emergency room visits a year. That’s a problem that Abigail Barnes, a food allergy...Show More Summary
On a Saturday morning in April of 2014, Nenad Macesic, a thirty-one-year-old doctor-in-training, received an urgent phone call from the emergency room of Austin Hospital, just outside Melbourne, Australia. Lean and taut, with a swirl of dark hair, Macesic resembles an aspiring urban d.j. Show More Summary
I had me some asthma as a kid. Nothing too major. I was able to run, jump, and play sports as kids are wont to do. But I did land in the emergency room twice with a case of not being unable to breathe (both times triggered by a severe onset of dust/pet allergies). Show More Summary
TBT August 11, 2007: "Sad. Sad. Sad. Sad. Sad." Amy Winehouse is talking about the scary drug overdose that landed her in an London emergency room this past week. The singer, who refuses to go to rehab, spoke exclusively to the News Of The World. Says Wino: "It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. [...]
Low-income Californians who are elderly and disabled were less likely to go to the emergency room or be hospitalized after their in-home caregivers participated in an intensive training program, accor...
Roslyn Lewis was at work at a dollar store here in Tuscaloosa, pushing a heavy cart of dog food, when something popped in her back: an explosion of pain. At the emergency room the next day, doctors gave her Motrin and sent her home. Her...Show More Summary
Doctors said the owner was lucky to be alive.