The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on Friday said that it would make a number of changes to its program of selling delinquent mortgages to investors and nonprofits, putting in protections to attempt to prevent foreclosures and help nonprofits buy more of their loans.
1 World Trade Center’s elevator to the building’s observatory level offers a time-lapse display of New York’s urban development history that plays within the elevator as it ascends toward the observatory reports The New York Times. The video is presented...
New Jersey homeless veterans will be receiving $895,821 in federal grants from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program, US Senators Robert Menendez and Cory Booker said in a press release on Monday.
In 2012, Metro sponsored a study of parking ratios for multi-family developments in urban King County. By counting vehicles parked overnight, the Right-Size Parking study created a model of current parking needs and demonstrated that parking is 40% oversupplied. Show More Summary
All images courtesy of Shin Kuo A spinning skyline literally gives new perspective to urban architecture in architect Shin Kuo’s Turn to the Future building concept. Developed as his thesis project at the San Francisco Academy of Art...Show More Summary
Last October we wrote about Dutch designer Daan Roosegaarde, who developed a vacuum cleaner that can suck urban smog right out of the air. Now the designer is turning that smog vacuumed from the skies of Beijing into rings of soot that you can wear right
The Census Bureau and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said that residential construction activity remained weak forRead the Rest...
Dutch designer Daan Roosegaarde has developed an "electronic vacuum cleaner" that could potentially suck up urban smog. The new cleaner uses copper coils to create an electrostatic field that pulls smog particles from the air. Roosegaarde is already in talks
What one of the world's most rapidly urbanizing cities looks like today. Chongqing, in southwest China, is geographically the country's largest city. With a population of 36 million people, it's also China's largest direct-controlled municipality, meaning it's basically a mini-province unto itself. Show More Summary
After hearing an urban legend about a pickpocketed USB flash drive that, when inserted into a laptop, “burnt half of it down,” a Russian researcher set out to develop such a computer-frying device.
As you've likely heard by now: Barack Obama has nominated Shaun Donovan, present head of NYC HPD, as his Secretary of Housing & Urban Development. Now I know ShaunDon wasn't on my wishlist of potential HUD nominees [posted in the comments...Show More Summary
Mayor Bill de Blasio and U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro are announcing $100 million in investments to make New York City public housing more energy efficient. Mr. de... To view the full story, click the title link.
Yesterday, a group of folks got together to talk about sustainability and resilience, especially in energy infrastructure and especially as a means of developing urban centers responsibly. It may seem that nuclear energy has only a tangential role here: it provides emission-free electricity to cities that want to be as emission-free as possible. Show More Summary
Frank Muraca of the Richmond Fed: How the Geography of Jobs Affects Unemployment: In postwar America, many families moved away from urban centers into the rapidly developing suburbs. Culturally, these new communities were associated with economic opportunity, signifying middle-class values...
The paleo-centric eatery will be the mixed-use development's newest market stall.
Gov. Jerry Brown targets the 20% of developed water that flows to urban use; ag takes up the other 80%
BEIJING (Reuters) - China's government released on Sunday a framework to develop sprawling urban areas along the Yangtze River as it moves forward with a decade-long ambition to turn the Chinese heartland into a major economic belt.
Modern digital mapping tools have transformed the potential of maps in urban development, allowing us to produce more detailed and sophisticated visualizations of cities. As access to these tools continues to expand, the resulting maps...Show More Summary
Infrastructure giant wins bidding for an urban regeneration development in Singapore.
Using the assessment tool ForWarn, US Forest Service researchers can monitor the growth and development of vegetation that signals winter's end and the awakening of a new growing season. Now these researchers have devised a way to more...Show More Summary